The department is responsible for the following city services.
- Street repair
- Storm drainage repair and maintenance
- Grass cutting
- Concrete repairs(drain inlets, sidewalks, curb and gutter)
- Street sign replacement and maintenance
- Fall leaf pick-up (November to April)
- Tree removal/right of way maintenance
- Rubbish removal/pick-up
- Riverwalk Maintenance
- Columbus Class I Rubbish Landfill
- Dilapidated lot cleaning and House demo.
The residential trash pick-up is a contracted service through Golden Triangle Waste Services. For problems with your trash pick-up please call: 662-327-6660.
Residential Trash Pick-Up Service
Twice a week service:
- Monday and Thursdays - pick-up south of 5th Avenue North.
- Tuesday and Fridays - pick-up North of 5th Avenue North.
Residential Rubbish/Yard Waste Pick-Up
The city’s Two (2) Boom trucks pick-up rubbish based on the following schedule:
- Wards 1 and 2 - Monday
- Ward 3 - Tuesday
- Wards 4 and 5 - Wednesday
- Ward 6 - Thursday
Limbs & Yard Waste
Limbs need to be cut to a length not to exceed 4-feet. Grass, leafs, pine straw/needles need to be placed in bags.
All items must be placed within 3 to 4 feet of the edge of road. Please do not place in city streets, curb and gutters, on sidewalks or over drainage boxes.
*Schedule subject to change because of Holidays and Weather conditions.
City Mosquito Program
The City of Columbus controls mosquitoes by using a larvaside pellet program. These pellets are placed in standing water to control mosquito growth and development. To request pellets be placed in standing water near residents home please contact the action center and provide the location where they are needed.
The City of Columbus has a recycling program for residents. Residents needing information on this program need to contact Waste Pro at 662-328-5528. The city does not collect or accept old tires (Please contact Waste Pro for this.)
Columbus Class I Rubbish Landfill
The landfill is located on Armstrong Road south of Town.
Phone Number: 662-329-5115
Hours of Operation:
- Monday through Friday: 7am to 4pm (last load accepted 3:45pm)
- Saturday: 7am to Noon (last load accepted 11:45)
- Sunday: Closed
Cost: $21.00 per ton/ $10.00 minimum load charge
The landfill can accept the following items:
- Yard Waste
- Construction Debris
- Furniture and White Goods (refrigerators/freezers, stoves, washers and dryers)
Items not allowed to be dumped:
- Tires, bottles
- Household Garbage
- Paint Cans
- Aerosol Cans
- Animal Carcasses
- Hazardous Material of any kind
- For hazardous material pick up please call Golden Triangle Maintenance at 662-251-4744.
If you have any questions concerning what is acceptable waste please call the landfill.
Phone Number: 662-329-5147
If a city resident has an issue for the Public Works Department please call the City Action Center and provide the following Information:
- Location of Problem
- Type of Problem
- Contact name and number:
The more information you can provide the better we can serve your needs.