Robert E. Smith, Sr. - Mayor
Robert E. Smith, Sr., Mayor
Email Robert E. Smith, Sr.
Term: Expires 2021
Robert E. Smith, Sr. has been serving since 2006. His current term extends until 2021.
As a City, we’ve been diligent, formed unprecedented partnerships, and engaged in strategic planning and shared vision. As a result, we’ve set Columbus on course to offer a better quality of life for everyone who lives here, works here, and chooses to raise a family here. Although there is a slowing national economy, Columbus continues to flourish, as a City and for posterity, we must make strategic planning across departments a priority and commit to continuous improvements in Columbus’ physical, economic, and social landscape.
Vision for the City of Columbus
We will strive every day to preserve the past, move forward with strategic initiatives that will ensure a better tomorrow, and maintain the uniqueness of the City as we continue to lay a solid foundation for future generations to come by:
- Improving and maintaining a quality infrastructure (streets, gas, water & sewer) for current needs and future growth;
- Creating beautiful residential communities within the City with seamless streetscapes that we can be proud of for years to come;
- Encouraging and supporting economic development opportunities by attracting high-skilled/high-tech/high-paying industries;
- Preserving and promoting historic resources and a unique downtown area that is host to thriving businesses while retaining a small town feeling;
- Pursuing appropriate, sustainable opportunities to grow our population and be a home for young families and retirees while safeguarding a strong sense of small-town values and citizen involvement;
- Ensuring access to affordable, high quality medical and health care;
- Developing an adequate and sustainable annual budget that assures uninterrupted delivery of public safety, fire and other quality services to our citizens and by maintaining a sound, stable fiscal reserve to meet unanticipated needs and emergencies.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, Mississippi Valley State University
- Master's in Education, Mississippi State University
- City Council Member Representing Ward 1 - 2001 to 2006
- Principal: West Lowndes Middle School - 1992 to 2006
- Assistant Principal: Joe Cook Middle School - 1983 to 1992
- Teacher and Coach: Lee High School - 1975 to 1983