The department is responsible for the following city services:
- Columbus Class I Rubbish Landfill
- Concrete repairs (drain inlets, sidewalks, curb, and gutter)
- Dilapidated lot cleaning and House demo.
- Fall leaf pick-up (November to April)
- Grass cutting
- Riverwalk Maintenance
- Rubbish removal/pick-up
- Storm drainage repair and maintenance
- Street repair
- Street sign replacement and maintenance
- Tree removal/right-of-way maintenance
The residential trash pick-up is a contracted service through Golden Triangle Waste Services. For problems with your trash pick-up please call 662-327-6660.
To report an issue for the Public Works department call the action center at 662-329-5147 or click here to fill out a report online.
Residential Trash Pick-Up Service
Twice a week service:
- Monday and Thursdays - pick-up south of 5th Avenue N
- Tuesday and Fridays - pick-up north of 5th Avenue N
Residential Rubbish / Yard Waste Pick-Up
The city's Two Boom trucks pick-up rubbish based on the following schedule:
- Wards 1 and 2 - Monday
- Ward 3 - Tuesday
- Wards 4 and 5 - Wednesday
- Ward 6 - Thursday
Limbs & Yard Waste
Limbs need to be cut to a length not to exceed 4-feet. Grass, leaves, pine straw/needles need to be placed in bags. All items must be placed within 3 to 4 feet of the edge of the road. Please do not place in city streets, curb and gutters, on sidewalks, or over drainage boxes. The schedule is subject to change because of holidays and weather conditions.
City Mosquito Program
The City of Columbus controls mosquitoes by using a larvacide pellet program. These pellets are placed in standing water to control mosquito growth and development. To request pellets be placed in standing water near the resident's home please contact the action center and provide the location where they are needed.
The City of Columbus has a recycling program for residents. Residents needing information on this program need to contact Waste Pro at 662-328-5528. The city does not collect or accept old tires (Please contact Waste Pro for this.)
Columbus Class I Rubbish Landfill
The landfill is located on Armstrong Road south of Town.
- Phone Number: 662-329-5115
- Hours of Operation:
- Monday through Friday: 7 am to 4 pm (last load accepted 3:45 pm)
- Saturday: 7 am to Noon (last load accepted 11:45)
- Sunday: Closed
- Cost: $21 per ton/ $10 minimum load charge
The landfill can accept the following items:
- Aerosol Cans
- Animal Carcasses
- Construction Debris
- Furniture and White Goods (refrigerators/freezers, stoves, washers, and dryers)
- Hazardous Material of any kind
- For hazardous material pick up please call Golden Triangle Maintenance at 662-251-4744
- Household Garbage
- Items not allowed to be dumped:
- Paint Cans
- Tires, bottles
- Yard Waste
If you have any questions concerning what is acceptable waste please call the landfill.
If a city resident has an issue with the Public Works Department please call the City Action Center at 662-329-5147 and provide the following Information:
- Contact name and number
- Location of Problem
- Type of Problem
The more information you can provide the better we can serve your needs.