Residents & Visitors
We are happy to be able to update our citizens on current projects within the City of Columbus.
Upgraded our neighborhood parks which include:
- East Columbus (New Playground and Pavilion)
- Hank Aaron Park (New Swings, Borders, Resurfaced Basketball Courts, LED lighting, and New Basketball Goals) (In Progress)
- Lee Park (Renovated Playground Equipment)
- Sandfield (New Playground, Pavilion, Basketball Court, LED Lighting, and New Fencing)
- Townsend (New Gene Taylor Pavilion)
- Sim Scott (New 9,000 square ft. Community Center, New Playground, New Fencing, Two New Pavilions)
The two percent restaurant tax will be utilized to build four new Baseball Fields. Other Propst Park improvements include:
- Renovations to Tennis Building (In Progress)
- Renovations of Large Propst Park Pavilion (In Progress)
- All Buildings will be Repainted (In Progress)
- Renovated the Walkways at the Adult Softball Complex (Completed)
- Renovations of Walkways at the Youth Softball Complex (In Progress)
- Repair of all Baseball Infields (In Progress)
Senator Terry Brown Amphitheater
Phase II of the Amphitheater was completed in late summer/early fall of 2020 and included the installation of a brick façade entry wall and ornamental fence for safety.
Main at 2nd Street Intersection Improvements
The intersection improvements include a mini-roundabout with new sidewalk, driveways, curb and gutter, paving, striping, and signage to increase safety and provide pedestrian connectivity to downtown and the Riverwalk.
Installation of high friction surface treatment and subsequent permanent striping in progress. Construction is expected to be completed by Spring 2021.
Military Road/Highway 82 Roundabouts
The intersection improvements included two roundabout, curb and gutter, paving, striping and signage to improve the level of service and safety at the Highway 82/Military Road interchange.
Installation of permanent striping in progress. Construction is expected to be completed Spring 2021.
Phase II of the Riverwalk extended the existing path approximately 4,190 linear feet to MDOT's Highway 82 right-of-way in 2008 to extend the total length to approximately 2.2 miles.
The Riverwalk was extended an additional 920 linear feet across MDOT's right-of-way. The total length today is approximately 2.4 miles.
Fire Station #4
The City has completed the construction of a new fire station on Airline Drive that will house the Administration Offices, Living Area, classrooms, eighteen bedrooms, state-of-the-art exercise gym, and a two-bay drive thru area for fire trucks.
Where are you? Where are you heading to? Columbus will have wayfinding signage to help with just that!