Message from the Mayor
As a City, we’ve been diligent, formed unprecedented partnerships, and engaged in strategic planning and shared vision. As a result, we’ve set Columbus on course to offer a better quality of life for everyone who lives here, works here, and chooses to raise a family here.
Although there is a slowing national economy, Columbus continues to flourish, as a City and for posterity, we must make strategic planning across departments a priority and commit to continuous improvements in Columbus’ physical, economic, and social landscape.
We will strive every day to preserve the past, move forward with strategic initiatives that will ensure a better tomorrow, and maintain the uniqueness of the City as we continue to lay a solid foundation for future generations to come by:
- Improving and maintaining a quality infrastructure (streets, gas, water & sewer) for current needs and future growth;
- Creating beautiful residential communities within the City with seamless streetscapes that we can be proud of for years to come;
- Encouraging and supporting economic development opportunities by attracting high-skilled/high-tech/high-paying industries;
- Preserving and promoting historic resources and a unique downtown area that is host to thriving businesses while retaining a small town feeling;
- Pursuing appropriate, sustainable opportunities to grow our population and be a home for young families and retirees while safeguarding a strong sense of small-town values and citizen involvement;
- Ensuring access to affordable, high quality medical and health care;
- Developing an adequate and sustainable annual budget that assures uninterrupted delivery of public safety, fire and other quality services to our citizens and by maintaining a sound, stable fiscal reserve to meet unanticipated needs and emergencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Mississippi Valley State University
- Master’s Degree in Education, Mississippi State University
- Principal: West Lowndes Middle School – 1992-2006
- Assistant Principal: Joe Cook Middle School – 1983-1992
- Teacher and Coach: Lee High School- 1975-1983
- Columbus Municipal School Board member - 1996-2001
- Columbus City Council Member - 2001- 2006
- Columbus Mayor - 2006 - Present